Friday, May 1, 2009

My 'free' Chopsticks.

Location: How5!, Clayton.

Wednesday is one of my busiest day of the week, second to Tuesday.

classes start from 12-1pm (since I stop attending the tute at 10-11am but 1-2pm), 2-3pm... hence, earning me a "you coming in this late is getting a little too thick for me" remark from my tutor Miles Warmuty -my marketing tute at 2-3pm- this week (whose name I learnt on my 8th week's class test... lol).

In my defense, it's quite far to walk from building 29 to building 11 ok?! They should have a buggy or sth...

Guess they are not expecting any engineering students taking a business unit. If you're interested in how the campus look like or just plain bored, check the map out...

He used the phrase "too thick"... so I made full use of my chinese-ness and played dumb, giving him that I-Don't-Understand-You-Face. After repeating the same sentence a few times, he gave up and resumed the tute class... hehe.

So, having a 12pm class, as usual, I PLAN to wake up at 9 but really got outa bed at 11-ish. and naturally, I would have missed breakfast and lunch altogether, ending up having tea-ish dinner instead.

I grabbed a quick seaweed salad from the Chinese grocery store after my 12-1pm INT class before heading to that COM ethics tute in building 29, located far far away from civilization, aka engineering faculty =p

I took out A$3 from my purse and headed to the counter to pay for it. Seeing that there was no cutlery insight, I asked the cute Chinese uncle -kinda reminds me of that ex landlord in SJ156- where can I get a fork, chopsticks or something... (coz they use spork in meeting point).

Me: erm, can I get a fork or chopstick or sth to eat this with?
Cute Chinese Uncle: owh, it's there and it's 2 dollars...
(with a REALLY thick Chinese accent, kinda sound like Russel Peter's fake Chinese accent.)

Me: what?
(Still a little blur since I just woke up and all, but decided not to even try to protest and rummaged through my bag for my purse as I was also late for class.)

CCU: haha, I was kidding. The Chopsticks' free... Keep your 2 dollars *smirk*

I stood there speechless for a couple of seconds, waiting for my brains to catch up.

When they finally did, I apologized to CCU and left the store abruptly, blushing, with the 'free' chopsticks in my hand.

Hmm, being Chinese myself, I realise that everyone can be a little racist sometimes, whether they realize it or not. Chinese tend to give others an impression of being calculative, business minded and all... I did not even think twice when the CCU was obviously teasing me there. I even overlooked that smirk that in retrospect, was so visible.

At least from this, I learnt where they put their "free" cutlery... =)

No comments: