Friday, September 21, 2007

Smashing Pumpkins (1)

Location: Computer Lab, Level 5, Monash Sunway University, Malaysia.


I just got my
JRN Ass 2 back. Happy to get it back, frustrated caused I did something that I shouldn't and got pinalized. Boy that cost me. Took some picture as prove of my carelessness and atop every thing, my stupidity of screwing the most fundamentally 'unscrewable' stuff.


Reminds me of the time that Wan Ye, a friend of mine screwed up additional maths in form 4. If not mistaken, the question was very complicated, she whisked through it like cat woman. Slick,
Carefull and Precise. But if not mistaken, she did the last working wrong due to lack of time and that cost her.


The Question we later found out was


"4+2 = 12"


or something really similar.


If it wasn't for that, she'd get 100. The perfect score.


Anyways, I'll elaborate my yet another adventure of my brainless mind in another entry. That requires photo editing and I'm lazy now.


As you guys know, we're born of the era of
boybands, girl bands, punk bands, rock bands, emo bands, punk rock emo bands... We missed out all the good stuff. All the milestone of music industry. (I remember seeing 'Nirvanaism' somewhere... I came to know the existence of Nirvana after Kurt Cobain's tragic death) We missed PUSA, we missed Verve Pipe's era, Oasis's prime, U2, Sting and one of the few controversial bands that took the world by storm,


Smashing Pumpkins.


I stumbled upon Smashing Pumpkins last year when I accidentally downloaded the
mtv,
Bullet with Butterfly Wings. Hell, part of the reason I shifted from blog.com to blogger.com was
coz you can't embed stuff from Youtube to your entries. It's so agonizingly torturing to watch all these kick ass mtv of Smashing Pumpkins and NOT able to post it in my blog.


SP's Bullet with Butterfly Wings.


I was all excited and jumping until I realise that they were on some sorta hiatus or maybe even at the verge of splitting up as a band (and that Billy
Corgan was cuter at the beginning of Smashing Pumpkins, you know, with hair) that I felt so depressed and maybe even asked god why was I born so late.


They released an album this year, July 10,
Biro's birthday, AFTER 6-7 years of hibernation FINALLY!! They gave what their LONG LOYAL Fans so candy to indulge on. I've never bought any CDs with a Tulen sticker on the cover not since the last 'N SYNC album, Celebrity. I bought Smashing Pumpkins' Zeitgeist without having much thought.


It's like *snap* RM 45 spent.


Hell the album's so great that wikipedia has an entry SPECIALLY for that album.


But then I realised it's not as great as I expected. Maybe I set my hopes too high coz they're considered as ground-breakingly legendary if there is such a thing call music museum. And this is like a comeback of a LEGEND after 7 years. This should be great... right?


Their 'Doomsday Clock' appeared in the popular Transformers in the big screens but their first single released from this album was Tarantula. Wikipedia used 'psychedelic' to decribe the mtv. It is psychedelic alright. It is ok to be 'psychedelic' in That 70's Show... but for a rock, I mean HARD rock band like Smashing Pumpkins (IMO) the mtv is a little.. how to say to not sound bad... gay-ish or rather, campy.


Well, needless to say I was a teeny bit disappointed. I can't help but wonder,


What happened to the magic in 1979?




And the seductive element in Disarm?




And the wonderful heart-melting tunes of Tonight, Tonight?






Have you actually heard the lyrics of Tarantula?




The more I listen to SP's Tarantula, the more I suspect that they were on high while writing this song.

# Don’t break this oath!
I want to love you when you’re happy,
Don’t break this oath!
I want to be there when you’re sad,
Freeze-frame the pouring rain.#

.... and...

#We are the real, as real as any ghost,
So easy now,
We are the real, in every living soul
Oh don't they know#

... and...

#If it’s a white hot soul they want
then a black heart they’ll get. #


I'm sorry that I'm not that good in deriving meaning from this piece of art. It all seemed unconnected! I kind of understand what Billy Corgan was trying to say but it's REALLY vague The music's hot I admit, just not the lyrics.

The only song that I like (and can make much sense out of) is That's the Way (My Love Is)




Atleast the song actually felt 'Zeitgeist', it's the whole point of this album right?


To let people know that SMASHING PUMPKINS are BACK!!


p/s: this is kinda scary, the MTV I mean, Weird Al
Yankovic - The Alternative Polka.
It is supposed to be funny...




No comments: